Jesus Encourages Church to Watch for his Return!
Jesus encourages the Church to watch for his return! Does this mean you should physically be on the look out for the Lord’s return?
“For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. Watch you therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house” comes, “at even, or at midnight, or at the cock crowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he finds you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch,” Mark 13:34-37.
1)Jesus Gives us Reasons to be Watchful
- Watch for the thief because he does not give notice of his intentions, Matthew 24:42.
- Watch or you will suffer loss, Matthew 24:43.
- Do not watch foolishly, watch with wisdom, and use the tools of the day, Matthew 25:13.
- Watch for we do not know when the Lord will return, Matthew 25:13; Mark 13:33,35.
- Watch to avoid temptation, for we do that which we vow not to, Matthew 26:41: Mark14:38.
- Listen carefully, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. Mark.13:33.
- By watching over your possession you demonstrate you value it and wish to keep it, watch over it, Luke 2:8.
- Lord commands us to watch for his return, Mark 13:34.
- Watch to be accounted worthy by the Lord on his return, Luke 21:36.
- The Lord calls you blessed, if He returns and you are watching for Him, Luke 12:37, watch for Him night and day.
- Be watchful, for you have a duty to give life to the dying, Revelation 3:2.
2)How to Watch For the Return of Jesus?
- Watch in prayer Matthew 26:38; Mark 14:34,37; Col 4:2
- Watch “unto prayer”, 1 Peter 4:7
- Watch in thanksgiving, Col 4:2
- Watch constantly, 1 Corinthians 16:13
- Watch in Strength, 1 Corinthians 16:13
- Watch like men, 1 Corinthians 16:13
- Watch being wide-awake, vigilantly, not drunk, 1 Thessalonians 5:6. You do nothing to impair your judgment. You want to make the best decisions for your soul at all times for the adversary is waiting for us to make the first mistake to take us out. Let him wait, forever with the help of Jesus. We watch for him!
3)When Should Believers be watching for the Return of the Lord?
- “In every experience, 2 Timothy 4:5
4)Your Pastor and Other Leaders in Christ Watch for Your Soul
The ultimate responsibility for your soul rests with you. However, the Pastors which the Lord have given to us to inspire, reprove, nourish and guide us in His Word are also accountable to the Lord for our souls, Hebrews 13:17
Our responsibilities to our leaders:
- Obey them
- Submit to them
In closing, the Lord has strong words for us concerning our responsibility to watch for Him: “Remember therefore how” you have ”received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore” you shall “not watch, I will come on” you ”as a thief, and” you shall “not know what hour I will come upon” you, Revelation 3:3.
“Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that” watches, “and” keeps “his garments, lest he walks naked, and they see his shame,” Revelation 16:15 Watch!
Get Exclusive Updates. Enter Your Email Address.