Jesus Christ:Fast Frequency
It appears Jesus was giving a hint to his disciples about how often to fast when he said, “for I say unto you, that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:20.
One aspect of these religious groups “righteous lifestyle” is regular fasting, Luke 18:12. Therefore, it seems Christ was suggesting Believers would need to do more than these religious people did to enter into the Kingdom of heaven. In relation to fasting, that would mean at least fasting three times weekly. Of course, a fast is never about just abstaining from food and drinks but our hearts’ motives are always very important and should be parallel to God’s Word. The true meaning of Christian fast cannot be over emphasized nor it benefits.
Fast: What Can we Learn About Fast & Fasting From Scriptures?
- David fasted frequently and lost much weight as a result, Psalm 109:24.
- The disciples of John fasted frequently, Matthew 9:14;Mark 2:18;Luke 5:33.
- The Apostle Paul: Believers are charged not to offend others so the Ministry of the Kingdom of Christ be blameless. Our actions included fasting by which we are approved by others as Ministers of God, 2 Corinthians 6:3-10.
- The Apostle Paul: frequent fasting is one of the many practices of a Minister of Christ, 2 Corinthians 11:23-27.
- The Apostle Paul expresses the importance of fasting and prayer. Fasting and prayer is so significant to the Believer, it is the ONLY reason in Scriptures a married couple – with mutual consent – should deny each other sexual gratification, 1 Corinthians 7:1-5.
- The Apostles fasted and prayed at ordination of ministers, Acts 14:20-23.
- The Apostles fasted and prayed before missionaries were deployed in the mission field, Acts 13:2-3.
What Can we Learn About Fast Frequency From Others?
Fast as often as there is a need: personal, organizational or the needs of others. Stephen Ziton explains in,”Why Do We Fast So Often?, “we fast only to gain mastery over ourselves and to conquer the passions of the flesh.”
FalconBlanco recommends, “Ideally people should fast once or twice a year just as a tune-up to deal with the environmental toxins and junk in our foods as well as the emotional build up.”
“How often should I fast?” “Your personal fasting frequency should be as often as you deem it necessary to seek a closer relationship with the Lord. And from a corporate frequency, it should be as often as the particular group deems it to be necessary.”
Learn About Fast by Fasting
Finally, has your righteousness exceeded that of the scribes and Pharisees? Each week identity three needs in your life and fast about them. Frequent fasting is one sure way of getting closer to God. Jesus reciprocates, you get close to him and he will get close to you, James 4:8. If you have never fasted, you should. Learn how to fast. If you fast occasionally, take up my suggestion and make it a weekly feature of your Christian life you will never regret that decision.
Daniel’s Fast, Fasting Frequency, Baptism in Jesus Name And Gifts of Tongues
Daniel’s Fast: Explaining its Principles?
Get Exclusive Updates. Enter Your Email Address.