#2). Burial of Jesus Christ
“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures,” 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ really, is the good news of his death, burial and resurrection. We have looked at Jesus’ death : “Is The Gospel of Christ Only For Christians?” In this writing, we shall concentrate on the burial of Jesus.
Importance of the Burial of Jesus’ Body
One of the significant points concerning the burial of Jesus’ body is that it fulfills many major prophecies of the Scriptures made thousands of years before. These prophecies connect Jesus as the Christ, the Messiah, that Prophet or as the Son of God. The circumstances surrounding the burial of Jesus validate these prophecies, Isaiah 53:1-12. The burial of Jesus Christ is an essential component of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Without the burial of Jesus, there could be no resurrection.
Who Buried Jesus?
A wealthy disciple of Jesus Christ name Joseph of Arimathaea and a Jewish leader name Nicodemus the same one who came to Jesus by night, buried Jesus, (Matthew 27:56-60;Luke 23:50-53;John 19:38-40 ). Nicodemus came prepared for the burial of Jesus’ body because he brought “about a hundred pounds ” of mixture of spices, namely myrrh and aloes (John 19:39). Both of these men wrapped the body of Jesus in linen cloth with the mixture of spices and buried him in Joseph’s new sepulcher, (John 19:40-42; Matthew 27:59-60).
Where Was Jesus Buried?
Both Joseph and Nicodemus buried Jesus in the formers new sepulcher in which no one was ever “laid”. This tomb was made by digging into a rock. The sepulcher was located in a garden very close to the place where Jesus was crucified, (John 19:41). Therefore, this fulfils the Scripture, which prophesied that Christ would be buried in another man’s tomb.
When Was Jesus Buried?
Jesus was buried in the evening before the Sabbath day at about the ninth hour. This is the evening of the “Jews Preparation Day”, (Matthew 27:62; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:41-42 ).
How is The Burial of Jesus Christ Good News?
- It is a symbol. The burial of Jesus Christ symbolizes the burial each believer will experience at water baptism. Water baptism (by immersion) symbolizes a burial of the Believers old lifestyle.
- Prophecies made by and since Moses finally came true when Christ was buried.
- Burial of Jesus signals a new beginning is imminent.
- Very soon (after three day) there will be a resurrection.
- Jesus preached to the dead in hell so those who died before him had an opportunity to hear and accept the Gospel of Salvation, (1 Peter 3:18-20; 1 Peter 4:6).
- Jesus sets the captives free.
Get Exclusive Updates. Enter Your Email Address.